On campus employment

On campus employment

International students in F-1 nonimmigrant status may work on campus without the approval of a designated school official (DSO) or USCIS.

Locations where F-1 students may work include:

  • The school's premises, including on-location commercial firms that provide services for students on campus, such as the school bookstore or cafeteria; and
  • Somewhere off campus that is educationally affiliated with the school.

Employment that does not provide direct services to students is not on-campus employment. For example, an on-campus commercial firm, such as a construction company that builds a school building, does not provide direct student services. Find guidelines for on-campus employment on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Student and Exchange Visitor Program webpage.

Work Authorization (EAD Card) is not required for on campus employment and will not be issued by USCIS.


Limits on on campus employment:

International Students may work on campus for up to 20 hours a week when school is in session. 


Documents for employer that show employment eligibility:

  • Unexpired foreign passport, 
  • Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record.

Contact Our Office Today

Attorney Marcin Muszynski, Esq. is committed to answering your questions and to finding solutions to reach your goals.

Immigration matters are time sensitive - schedule your consultation today. Other things can wait...